A potential divorce may be a surprise to one spouse, but more often it has been discussed to some extent, even if only mentioned during heated arguments. Whether you and your spouse have come to a mutual agreement or you do not see eye to eye on the terms of your divorce, it is important to have an experienced and knowledgeable divorce lawyer by your side. Divorce can be a complicated, highly emotional and unpredictable process. When a couple attempts to divide two lives that were once deeply intertwined, obstacles and unforeseen issues commonly arise.
Lakeway Attorney: Property Division, Child Custody & Support and Other Divorce Matters
With over two decades of experience guiding people through the divorce process in Lakeway and surrounding Austin areas, there are very few divorce-related matters that Mr. Thrasher has not encountered. Divorce typically involves one or more of the following elements:
- Custody and/or visitation issues: Whether contested or agreed upon, a divorce will include all arrangements regarding where your child(ren) will live, time spent with your child(ren) and decisions regarding education, child care, medical & health matters, and related issues.
- Child support: May be ordered to require a parent to pay child support for a child until the child is 18 years old or graduates from high school
- Division of property and debts: Including high-valued physical property such as your home(s) and cars, as well as investments, retirement accounts and bank accounts, all the way down to the dishes and family photos; and the division of debts, including credit cards, student loans, mortgages, car loans and taxes.
- Spousal support/maintenance: Commonly referred to as alimony, spousal support or maintenance is determined by:
- Length of marriage (generally more than 10 years)
- Current individual incomes of husband and wife
- Future earning potential of both parties
- Amount and value of assets awarded to each spouse. If awarded, the maximum length is 5 years in Texas
Contact The Law Offices of Bruce Thrasher to schedule a consultation with Mr. Thrasher to discuss how we can help to ensure your rights and property are adequately protected during this tumultuous time. Mr. Thrasher and his staff will devote all of their efforts to obtain the best possible results on your behalf.